What is the Sustainable Council Program?
by Michael Courtney, Managing Director
Through an analysis of future service levels and capital investment options, the program provides a consultative approach across the organisation to resolve service offering, demand, priorities and the required capital investment to underpin services.
The program establishes the building blocks for detailed community consultation and meets the longer-term planning requirements under the various Local Government Acts across the nation.
The program enables us to work with your council starting with a detailed analytical view of your service offering as it is today through to an agreement that supports a sustainable future. The program provides the methodology and tools to guide affordable comparative choices, highlighting all areas of opportunity.
What does your community want and what is it prepared to pay for?
CT Management Group’s Sustainable Council Program:
- Assists councils to deliver sustainable services, aligned to community needs.
- Invest in capital programs that support service delivery.
- Establishes the agenda for community engagement.
- Facilitates the council’s capacity to make informed comparative choices between competing service demands based on community priorities.
- Provides for a review of the governance frameworks around service, asset and financial management.
- Provides a detailed assessment and forward plan to ensure the financial sustainability of ongoing service delivery and capital investment.
- Identifies and addresses any existing known compliance issues reported from the Office of the Auditor General.
The four elements of the Sustainable Council Program are:
- Service Planning
- Asset Management
- Data and Information
- Financial Planning
These elements and their relationship are detailed in Figure 1. These are the pillars of a sustainable municipality and the foundations upon which sound community consultation can be built.
The Sustainable Council Program can be offered as a total program run over a nine to 12-month period or alternatively in separate elements.
The Sustainable Council Program is:
- A forerunner to the Victorian Local Government Act 2019 as it supports many of the longer-term strategic planning initiatives required under the proposed legislation.
- Supports requirements in the NSW, South Australian, Tasmanian and Queensland jurisdictions.
For more information on how this could assist your Council, complete the form below.